Nov 08 2007

Profile Image of Mana
Mana

The Wrath of Religiousness Unleashed by Yours Truly

Posted at 3:27 pm under Religion, Science and Technology, Society, atheism, comedy

Since my publishing of a series of “Irreverent Halloween” posts, which started with Take Halloween Back from Christians, my blog scored more pro-Christian comments than atheist comments. I’m not complaining, but the large volume prohibited me from properly answering some of the more interesting statements. So here are the top five jaw-dropping, did-she-just-say-that comments, that are too priceless to not discuss:

1. The demonic testimony:

“demons do exist; I was formerly demon-possessed (no my head didn’t spin around) so I know first hand. If you read the New Testament with an open mind, God will show you that it’s the truth.”

There is nothing more powerful to a Christian than testimony, in this case counter-testimony, as in, god must exist because demons exist, and I know because I was possessed by one.

The unanswered question remains, if god is great, why is he not protecting believers and those in faithful families from possession? All possession stories come out of believing circles. Doctors, scientists and non-believers do not appear to have ever been possessed. What ever could protect this latter group from possession by demons?

That was a rhetorical question…

2. The “atheism is religion” counter-attack:

“From what I read, you find your peace in science, which is your god as well, and your religion. If there was no faith in God, you couldn’t be called an atheist today. Why do you rely so much on science? Isn’t it the science that creates monsters? Isn’t it science that “finds” today a cure for a disease which tomorrow proves to be poison? Science….faith in a religion….it’s all the same to me, when it is brought to fanatism.”

There’s nothing more entertaining than playing a game of get-to-know-you. But unless we’re playing charades I think it’s wise to stay away from telling people that because they find peace in something, it would make that something their god. Lately I’ve been finding peace in playing Wii, does that make Wii my god?

Science is not my god, science is no one’s god. It may be someone’s major preoccupation, but chances are those who respect and understand science don’t attribute supernatural properties to science. Also, I can’t think of any monsters that science created, but I can think of a few created by people. Or rather, people turn their own selves into monsters, and many of these monsters came about as an aftermath of religious fanaticism. It is sad that many hide their choices, good or bad, underneath the umbrela of entities outside of themselves. With a few exceptions most humans are personally responsible for the consequences of their actions, and blaming mom, or dad, or a religion, or lack of a religion does not excuse humans from being accountable.

Also I’m pretty sure Marx said “religion is the opiate of the masses” not science, so science creating poison is a new thing to me. Cures that were cures but then stop working were never cures at all, and whoever claimed they were cures, was either lying or delusional, neither being a commandment of the ‘church of science.’ However, people do lie and suffer from delusions.

3. The “God has a plan” spin:

“It really isn’t like the cartoons- a little devil on one shoulder and God on the other- the Big Guy is all-powerful, He could/will/does take Satan down. He also hardens some hearts so that His purposes might be filled. In the end, I don’t know what His ultimate plan is, I don’t know who “will come to the Father through Christ”, but He has called me to share my story and my beliefs.”

If all other arguments fail, just say, “I don’t know what god’s plan is, but I know he has one.” This statement is usually accompanied by a visual like the cartoon one above. As in, let me explain this to you in a way you’ll get–ah, I know! I’ll use a cartoon metaphor, because an atheist such as you can’t possible get anything more complex than that.

Let me break this news to you, atheists know that the cartoon metaphor presenting the dualism between the devil and the angel is nothing but an illustration for the struggle between good versus evil. We don’t actually take that literally.

4. The pseudo-science argument

“Well the DNA is made of molecules, and evolution says random mutations and natural selection is what put us here. Mutation is nothing more than movement of molecules isnt it not? Random DNA mutation means the DNA encoded itself, now thats akin to accidentally generating a 128 bit encryption algorithm, and simultaneously randomly generating the decryption algorthm. Nobody would believe that can ever happen, yet this is what evolutionsts wants us to believe that DNA encoding and decoding procedures (algorithms) were randomly created.”

This comment was so wickedly bad, I did reply to it the following way:

“When you talk about molecules moving I instantly think of Chris Rock talking about pimped-up rims–”they’re spinnin’, they’re spinnin’…”

I’m also seeing the potential that you’re just making fun of creationists here by impersonating all the inane arguments I’ve ever seen brought against science and evolution. I can’t honestly believe you are serious when you say, “Mutation is nothing more than movement of molecules isnt it not?”

Bad grammar aside, and in case I am wrong, and you are serious, the answer is NO. Genetic mutation is not movement of molecules. It’s not about the rims “spinnin’ and spinnin’.”

Mutation is a permanent change in the DNA sequence that makes up a gene. Gene mutations occur in two ways: they can be inherited from a parent or acquired during a person’s lifetime. Mutations that are passed from parent to child are called hereditary mutations or germline mutations (because they are present in the egg and sperm cells, which are also called germ cells). This type of mutation is present throughout a person’s life in virtually every cell in the body.”

5. The apocalypse prediction:

“See what evolution is doing to us, this stupid evolution crap is going to be the cause of the end of this world. ONLY GOD KNOWS how people can believe that we came into existence by random movements of molecules.”

Yep, only god knows how some believe mutation comes from random movement of molecules, or how that’s going to lead to the end of the world.

7 responses so far

7 Responses to “The Wrath of Religiousness Unleashed by Yours Truly”

  1. Georgeon 08 Nov 2007 at 5:03 pm 1

    Mana, you did not understand what I was trying to say (but hey, we all understand what we want). My “god” (notice, no capital g) term is not used with a literal meaning. It was used as a parallel to the religious God, which actually is Something people need and/or want to believe in. You probably attribute life’s goods and bads to science, ONLY. Other - to a religious God, ONLY. I, for example - both. Shoot me!
    Now, now! The reverse side of what you say are the sociopaths, irresponsable sick liers…not real God believers. My priest teaches me that there is a God out there, but I am first responsable for my actions. I believe THIS is real and healthy faith in a God. No matter how much I believe in my God, I won’t go and kill somebody in His name… Why? Because I have ethics and I KNOW I am responsable for whatever I do. I also have free choice of believing or non-believing…of making the choice of a religion over another…of making a choice of a priest over another, within the same religion, and so on.
    You have to make a distinction in your comments about which religion you talk about. Some are stronger than the others. Some have a God that “forgives” more than the other. Or better, you make an analysis of the socio-psycho-physiological environment of a person “touched” (through tradition, enforcement or simple self-choice) by the respective religion. You cannot make general statements about everybody, because it just doesn’t apply. If NY was hit at 9/11 by a certain group, because of political AND religious reasons, it doesn’t mean that one’s belief in God has to be changed.
    well now…is Marx “God” to take “His” word for…or he had a strong scientific proof of that statement???
    So I guess you have to admit that science - same as God - is a shot in the dark…right? When I am sick, besides God, I rely on science as well… You are telling me now that when a doctor gives a certain treatement to a sick person, suggesting it does good, is…delusional???
    Mana, Mana, it must be lonely where you are…no gods, no science…just an empty space , with video games floating around you….
    You gotta do better than this!
    Hey, I like you, though.
    Cheerio!

  2. [...] You can read the full story here [...]

  3. Manaon 08 Nov 2007 at 10:57 pm 3

    You probably attribute life’s goods and bads to science, ONLY. Other - to a religious God, ONLY. I, for example - both.
    I attribute life’s goods and bads to neither god or science. I attribute it to people. And I attribute my life’s goods or bads to myself.

    The reverse side of what you say are the sociopaths, irresponsable sick liers…not real God believers.
    I’m not sure what you’re referring to but some sociopaths are believers.

    You are telling me now that when a doctor gives a certain treatement to a sick person, suggesting it does good, is…delusional???
    You said some cures proved to be poison. If they were poison they could not have been cures, so whoever promoted them as cures was either trying to make a buck or was delusional (as in not thinking straight). Doctors are generally good at what they do and they will not give you a cure that’s poison, and if they do give you something that’s poses risks they will warn of the associated risks. Crooks will try to sell you something that’s not a cure but can potentially harm you. So please don’t try to read between the lines of my statement, and try to imply I said doctors are delusional.

    You have to make a distinction in your comments about which religion you talk about. Some are stronger than the others. Some have a God that “forgives” more than the other.
    That’s what you don’t understand. I don’t have to make a distinction between religions based on how forgiving they are. Each religion has its moral virtues, as well as its irrationality. Atheists are not concerned with which church is the true church, or which church is better than the other. We leave that to religions to debate amongst themselves.

    is Marx “God” to take “His” word for…or he had a strong scientific proof of that statement???
    Does this imply that one should only take the word of god as proof?
    Regardless, you said cures proved to be poison, and I referred to the fact that you are not giving examples of cures that are poison. The poison statement made me think of Marx’s statement on religion being the opiate of the message, but I don’t know of a metaphor related to medical cures being poison. So please give me some examples.

    “Mana, Mana, it must be lonely where you are…no gods, no science…just an empty space , with video games floating around you….”
    Wow, a personal attack, with my name written all over it. How flattering. In an effort to disappoint those who would expect a defensive stance to this statement, I will say… keep on with the fuel for this atheist fire.

  4. AVon 12 Nov 2007 at 9:34 am 4

    My priest teaches me that there is a God out there

    What evidence does your priest have for this claim?

    You probably attribute life’s goods and bads to science, ONLY. [. . .] Mana, Mana, it must be lonely where you are…no gods, no science…just an empty space , with video games floating around you….

    It never ceases to amuse me how theists always seem to prefer this kind of projection over honest discussion. They would be lonely without their sky-Daddy; ergo, everybody would be lonely without their sky-Daddy. QED.

  5. The Worst of Perthon 17 Nov 2007 at 6:05 am 5

    I would respect him/her more if they claimed their head did spin. Why stop at demons? Go the whole way baby. The only ones of these christian turkeys I have any respect for are actually the stupidest - the snake handlers. While all the others dissemble about what the bible tells them, and claim to be following the literal word, these crackpots actually go out and do it. You don’t see these other idiots poking out their own eyes or fiddling with their oxen, or whatever other tosh DOES actually say. But snake handlers actually put their money where their snakes are. You got my respect you venom soaked morons.

  6. Billy (A Liberal Disabled Vet)on 18 Nov 2007 at 4:01 pm 6

    When I was in high school way back in the ’80s, my freshman biology teacher (a long suffering man who was in his last year of teaching befor retirement (and did not deserve many of the students he put up with)) came up with a way of describing mutations and how they can lead to a more complex organism.

    Picture a simple organism. Its genetic code is mutated. There is a 50% chance that the mutation will do nothing. There is a 49% chance the mutation will be terminal. Of the remaining 1%, there is a 5% chance the organism will become more simple. A 90% chance that, though there is a change, the organism is neither more nor less derived. And a 5% chance that the organism becomes more complex.

    So there is a 5% of 1% chance that a mutation will make the organism less or more ‘complex.’

    Keep doing this for 3 billion years. Most organisms will remain ’simple.’ A few, a very very very few, will evolve to the point where he can contemplate something so delightfully improbable, yet possible.

    I majored in history in college, but one of my many hobbies is evolutionary biology and paleontology. His explanation still works for me. It has also worked for at least one christianist fundamentalist Christian I know.

    Of course they still insisted that god factored in there. Somewhere.

    Sorry for the ramble. Occupational hazard.

  7. Stuart Matuszeskion 27 Jan 2011 at 9:54 pm 7

    Allostream : séries TV en streaming gratuit Megavideo et Megaupload. Le nouveau rendez-vous du streaming video ! Desperate housewives en streaming, …

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply